The November issue of Art Jewelry magazine has an article on electrolytic etching by Ron Pascho which intrigued me, so I have spent the last week or two collecting the necessary supplies to try this. I come from a fine arts/visual arts background, so the idea that I could draw/paint on metal, and have my brushstrokes translated fascinated me!
After running around several towns (remember, I live in the country!) I finally found that Radio Shack had pretty much everything I needed except the glass containers, which I got at Wal-Mart (and the air stone which I found there also).
So I started making the solution Friday, and finally got a chance to try the etching process today. WOW!!! I’m really pleased with how my first experiment turned out, and will definitely play with this some more!
Here is a picture of my set up, based on the magazine instructions:
Note that I carefully used the distilled water, the proper salt, and put everything on a tray to protect my surface. So first tip: put the etching bath in the MIDDLE of tray, or cover you base surface with plastic, as it threw salts and water out wider than I had allowed for 🙁
The aquarium pump is in front, with the D battery set up behind it by the etching bath.
The photo above shows the etch in process, with the solution foaming up. The anode (your piece) is right over the air stone, and directly across from it is the cathode (just another piece of copper the same size). The air stone make bubbles that keep the solution moving. Then every 15 minutes you disconnect the anode and brush it off with a soft brush with no metal in it. The anode connects to the + side of the battery, the cathode to the – side.
Above you can see the finished piece just taken out of the etch. I used Duck Tape to seal the sides and back, and it worked well. I drew my image with a Sharpie permanent marker like I use to mark my metals. I was just experimenting, and as I have two Christmas craft shows coming up thought I would make two Christmas trees and see how the texture turned out. I plan to turn them into a pair of earrings.
The photo above shows the piece with the Duck Tape removed. I have washed it, but not removed the resist. I hope you can see the wonderful texture in the trees, by where I did not completely cover the tree, but left the evidence of my strokes. The etched area is a wonderful soft texture now, and the unetched areas around the edge are the original shiny copper.
The photo above is the finished piece, with the resist removed. I know, I know – my focus is blurry – sorry! But I think you can still see the textured areas within the trees.
I am very excited by the possibilities, and will deifintely play with this some more!
Please feel free to add tips or suggestions or your experiences in the comments section.