1, 2 – no change that to 3..uh.. wait maybe 4 things…

by laurie jane kern on September 19, 2010

To start..

THIS IS MY 100th POST! So thanks to all who have been following me. I did my first post on 31 March 2009 so by my rough estimate that is 76 weeks or 18 months. This works out which works out to be about 1.3 posts per week or 5.5 posts per month. Not bad in my opinion because I had set out to do at least one post per week.

My next news is ….

This pertains to the 2-day workshop with Deb. I was working on two other items: The Hearth Pot and the Southwest Vessel. The Hearth Pot was partly completed but I am waiting to go back to Deb in October to finish it, so when that is done, I will post about it then. As for the Southwest Vessel, that I did not even start to raise it – that we will come back to at another time.

For the Third item..

The crimping stake that Kevin Potter made for me. I did take this to my 2-day workshop with Deb. On Sunday we used it to crimp a 6″ 20 gauge sterling silver disc which I am currently raising.  I will probably do a separate post about using a crimping stake when I am done, keep your eyes out for that.

The Fourth item pertains to…

I have opened my new website – The Adventurous Silversmith.  I have also added a link to it the site, here on the blog, it is to the right of this posting area by my blog roll.

For many months I have been pondering when I would open a website to sell my work. I am not happy with Etsy or ArtFire as it is so easy to get lost in there. I have no issues with building my own website – I do software development as my day job, so that was a no brainer and by going my own, I did not have to pay them to keep my work up for months at a time, nor would I pay them a commission.  I felt I was getting ready just about a month ago and at that point is was settling on a domain name and purchasing it; working out a theme: color and layout; and then building it – all of which I have done over the past three weekends. Now I have to decide if I want to add Facebook to this mix… Should I even join? If I do is it a personal page with a concentration on my work or do I set up my account as a business? If you have a suggestion about this or how it has or has not helped you I would love to know  and thanks in advance if you do!

Right now only two items are there for purchase but over the next few weeks it will grow and hopefully you will like my work and even purchase something –  the holidays are coming up real fast. [hint, hint…hint…]

laurie jane kern

Latest posts by laurie jane kern (see all)

Bentiron September 30, 2010 at 3:36 pm
Laurie Jane Kern September 22, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for the tip, but I have been reading his blog for over a year now.
When I started learning to raise, I went looking for blogs with similar posts and the rest is reading history.

Have you seen his YouTube posts too???

Bentiron September 22, 2010 at 10:27 am

I have found a website that you might be interested in, Sage Reynolds is a person of many talents but the one you will be interested in is his metal work, http://newyorkamera.com/ , go back to the very beginning of his blog and go forward from there, it is worth the trip.
Enjoy!

Laurie Jane Kern September 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Wendy,
I took the plunge with FB yesterday. I set up a personal profile and then added a business page for The Adventurous Silversmith – I chose website not artist as I did not think any of those categories really fit. Hmm, I wonder if I can change that.
I did speak to a couple of other people I work with and they all gave me the same advice – Be careful who you accept invites from and EVERYTHING is public… I have read that colleges are looking at potential students FB pages – and not accepting some of them based upon what they see.

So knowing all of this, I have gone in with good advice.

Wendy Edsall-Kerwin September 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I like the new site too! If you do decide to start Facebook, I suggest setting up a page for your business (they have an option for artists) and posting about your metalwork there. You could also set-up a personal profile and that could be used more for friends and family and you could also direct people to your fan page from that. But definitely the fan page.

Laurie Jane Kern September 19, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Thanks and yes, the day job is software development and website building.
I am soo glad I FINALLY opened up a site where I can put up my pieces even though there are only a few items so far. Give it time and it will be full eventually – I just hope I actually sell something before I am 100 years old (ha, by then it won’t matter and my family will make the money because of something on the Antiques Road Show!)

Bentiron September 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I took a look at you website and it looks very nice. You must do this for a living, I think I read that somewhere. Isn’t it nice to be up and running? Congratulations!