This thing is beginning to take shape. I was finally able to heat the copper enough to add the skirt or root base to the vertical form. It needed more substance and stability on the bottom, thus the skirt, but how to get it to integrate with the existing shape has been a dilemma, so when in doubt; hammer. A Dremel tool has come in handy to grind a vertical or bark like pattern into the base. After too much noise and copper dust flying I figured I might preserve my hearing and breathing if I put on a dust mask and earplugs. Cute!!!
Progress on this project is unbelievably slow, I had forgotten how much time and thought goes into a piece of this size. After all these years of making smaller more wearable work I have realized that I have become accustomed to reasonably instant gratification. My latest challenge with construction is not enough heat to keep the metal hot enough for solder flow. I am now considering some options for heating, my kiln is too small to preheat the whole thing, but I do have another torch that is attached to a small propane tank. It is actually for burning leaves or brush outside, but it might work to preheat the container if I can rig up a way to hold it while I use the other torch. If I only had more than two hands. I continue to enjoy the process if only I can keep my momentum and focus.