A New Adventure: the Winged Pig

by noelyovovich on March 5, 2015

Goethe said that when one is committed to an enterprise, doors open where you did not think there would be doors, and where there would not be doors for someone else.

I am comwinged piggiesmitted to a new life, as we are all are, I guess, every day—the difference is that I realize it, know it with absolute certainty. My life is not going to, cannot, just go on as it is. The question is, what do I do to steer it in a direction that holds the promise of fulfillment? I won’t put it more definitely than that. One thing is clear—we don’t control our own lives. Sometimes we have the illusion that things are predictable, nailed down, under control, but that illusion can be shattered in a blink. If you are honest, you know this is true.

For months now, I have struggled with the question, not, what is the next stage in my life going to be, but, how do I begin to determine what the next stage will be? The one thing that must happen is that I must return to an artist’s life, one way or another. Also, I must choose a new place to live, as I complete my divorce and sell the house I have lived in most of the time since 1983.

My oldest daughter urges me to “manifest” what I desire in life. I take this to mean, picture myself where I want to be without regard to practicality or doubt: dream it to make it real. At the same time, I have come across twinged pig cast iron smhe work of Brene’ Brown, whose TED talk on vulnerability and book Daring Greatly are reinforcement for the way I am already trying to go. Add to that Saya Hillman’s “Life of Yes”, and it all pushes for the idea of putting myself out there, taking chances, making leaps of faith, and believing in the outcome. Terrifying. But really, what choice is there? I have never had any reason to suppose that I can hunker down and do whatever I am currently doing if what I want is something different.

But how, exactly, does one set all this in motion?

As I was writing an email to my 4 kids, a year ago, I suddenly remembered a long-abandoned dream of one day buying a camper and heading off around the US. In the original dream, I was traveling with my husband, and I gave it up because I came to realize he was never going to do that.

Now, I imagine it a bit differently. And it just might work.

I see myself buying a small RV and building in a jewelry bench (who needs a sofa? Visitors can sit outside or at the dinette) or maybe just bringing my painting things. Putting everything in a storage facility and heading out, teaching/making/sepearl the dashboard pig smlling around the country until I find the place I never want to leave. I can see parts of that in my mind’s eye already—a cozy house in a community that supports art and artists, surrounded by natural beauty, bathed in natural light. There is a smallish white-walled room I use as a gallery, displaying my jewelry, pottery, paintings and sculptures to be seen and bought. I am working in my adjacent studio but emerge to greet anyone who comes through the door. There is a vegetable garden, and many flowers. I can live there comfortably on my limited income, serene and happy.

I could use your help.

I don’t know yet exactly when this odyssey will begin, but ideally I will sell the house and then head strwinged pig in snow saight out. This is likely to be in the very near future, probably by June. If you have any experience with anything like any part of this; if you wish to invite me to check out your area, or an area you know of; if you would like to have me come and teach, speak, or show work; or you wish to host me or encourage me in some other way—I want to hear from you. I am, with this writing, beginning a journal of this adventure, as a record, as an inspiration, possibly, to others, and to build momentum and courage to undertake a very scary leap of faith. I am 64, and I’m here to say it is never too late to try to fulfill your dreams. My mascot is the winged pig. I can see one painted on the side of my camper. Maybe it’s true what they always say, that pigs can’t fly, but if they don’t try, they sure as heck are never going to find out.

Sue March 11, 2015 at 12:23 am

Noel, I wish you much happiness on your new adventure…I have had the exact same dream. I’ll be 68 next week and after giving a lifetime to family, employment, and riding that rocky road of life, I’ve turned to art and creativity that is within…somewhere. Good or Bad, I’ll just keep trying. I hope you will be posting as you make your travels. Your metal work is beautiful! In the past I’ve looked on google for groups that travel together or the same route. You might check it out. Wishing you great success and days filled with blue sky and sunshine! Signing up for March 11 class.

Patricia Moore March 8, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Noel,
Years ago I took my first ever class with you and you have been the soul of my inspiration since then! What a joy you are to so many of us aspiring artists! – I do share your pain for life changes quickly and we walk solo with so many choices to make on our own. Enjoy the path whereever your Wings lead you. HOME is our children, the love in our hearts for arts, the gift of our creative minds, our bench and tools, and our willingness to share it with others.
Welcome in Raleigh, NC anytime!
Wishing you all the best.
Patricia

Vicki Kataja March 7, 2015 at 3:23 am

Noel,

I wish you all the best, and I hope your flying pig soars high above all the trials in life. Be safe, and stay in RV parks when you stop. Don’t overnight in rest stops alone.

Marty Hykin March 6, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Just wishing you the very best of luck and good adventures. We rarely get anywhere by going in a straight line. Unanticipated accidents and opportunities push and pull as you have found out. There can be some long nights to get through. Take courage. I hope things go well for you.

yleana martinez March 6, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Winged pig! I’ve been following your posts and am more than impressed by your honesty and guts, having struggled with the sell-or-stay question for years. I know what I want to do, but a steadier income (even a small one) would seal the deal. Looking forward to reading more about your great journey. We may be on parallel paths.

Barb Seyfried March 6, 2015 at 8:10 pm

A must see for your new adventure, ORACLE, AZ
An artist city with living , working artists’ of all mediums and their studios. And the Drawing Studio in Tucson, AZ.
It’s been up and coming for several years , developing everyday that it began.
Good Luck

Betsy March 6, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Noel; best wishes on your newest adventure.
2 bits of advice/areas to look at-
1st-Tiny house community; sturdier than RV’s, artistic (if you want them to be); and flexible in design. The first wave were all owner built, now some companies are in production. Worth a look.
2nd Marfa TX; artist community, amazing vistas, not so much on the gardening, but permaculture could make a big leap towards it.
I hope your future exceeds your wildest aspirations.

sheldon stephens March 6, 2015 at 12:46 pm

i will forward this on you are not alone
god be with you
Sheldon
(the pig whisperer )

Sandra Graves March 6, 2015 at 9:45 am

Noel – I wish only the best for you as you start this leap of faith. Sometimes you just have to jump and trust that the net is underneath you. This is going to be great. It won’t always be easy, because the best things usually aren’t, but after a year you’ll look back and see far more good than bad.

I wish I had any type of set-up that could assist you on your way, but unfortunately, I don’t. And Minnesota, although a gorgeous and progressive state, isn’t necessarily the best of climates for your little house with garden and whitewashed rooms. But I’ve always admired you, your talent and your skill, and I know you’ll make this an adventure that will pay off for you in so many ways.

So travel safely, my friend. A relative of mine travelled in a fifth wheel for several years and ended up in Taos, New Mexico. That might be a place for you to check out … or not. Have fun, keep in touch, and let your art flow. It’s going to be your great adventure and I’m looking forward to hearing about both the good and bad as you walk your new road.

johna van dyke March 5, 2015 at 11:22 pm

My Lovely Friend,

It aches me to see you go… but aches me more to see you stay in unhappiness. I will search. I know women who have done this. I will connect you to them. I will help you. I want your happiness to be realized.
I am sad.
j

Cyd Rowley March 5, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Hi Noel. I just read your blog and my heart goes out to you. There are so many times that things got rocky in my marriage and I imagined doing something like you’re doing. You have enormous courage to write this blog and to do what you’re doing. I wish only the best for you, whatever form that takes. Please come visit me anytime. I live in Maryland, just outside DC, I rent a studio that I share with 2 other Metalsmiths. We would love for you come and visit (you can stay at my house. We have plenty of space) and I’m the workshop co-ordinator for Washington Guild of Goldsmiths (WGG). You could do a workshop or a talk / presentation at one of our monthly membership meetings. Or if you happen to be passing by this way, let me know and I’d love to meet up with you. All the best to you, Cyd 301.996.2089