Hammer-formed Brass Hen Sculpture

by shelbyvision on February 23, 2009

Here are a couple pics of the brass hen I made recently, hammer-formed from a single piece of 16 gauge brass sheet, my second attempt. It’s about 4″ tall. My first attempt did not get finished because I did not start with the right cutout shape, as mentioned in my previous post, Anticlastic Extremism. This one is still not as plump as I would like, so I will be trying again. I may have to do some alteration to the tooling. I have a bunch of pictures of the process, and will do a pictorial when I get time.
hen1hen2

Collette February 25, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Ah! She’s a beautiful bird. Don’t you just want to pick her up and stroke her fine shiny feathers?

patpruitt February 25, 2009 at 2:30 pm

wow, that turned out amazing…I am in awe of the mad skillz you posses.

nancy lee February 25, 2009 at 10:22 am

i love your little hen. there is something about those hammer marks that is so tactile and so human. the way you handled her face and beak is an especially nice detail – she has some personality!

shelbyvision February 25, 2009 at 8:54 am

Jane, it’s a slim, trim hen. 😉 As I mentioned, I want to try making a plumper one. It is very hard to judge the shape of sheet required to get the desired end result, especially when such radical forming is taking place. Hopefully, the third time will be the charm.

Jane Walker February 24, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Ah, Shelby, are you sure that’s a hen? 🙂
She’s sleek and elegant and the water ripples (all right, hammer marks) are reflecting off her shiny feathers … I think she’s actually an exotic water hen! You’re right, your common or garden hen is actually pretty plump and flattish, especially if she’s broody and sitting on eggs! I do so enjoy your work, thanks for sharing.

shelbyvision February 24, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Thanks, Michael. I agree! 😉 The cool thing about it is that it’s the natural result of the process that formed it, like brush strokes on a painting, or throwing lines on hand-thrown pottery.

Michael Johnson February 24, 2009 at 10:02 am

I just love the hammered texture that you get.