Crouching Rabbit, Sleeping Greyhound

by shelbyvision on March 22, 2009

I just couldn’t resist the title. I was working on both of these at the same time, and suddenly realized the irony of making a greyhound and a rabbit. They even have similar ears. The greyhound, my second one so far, is an urn for custompeturns.com. It’s about 7″ across. The rabbit is to be a gift for my son and his wife when we visit them at Easter. My wife is so envious that I will have to make one for her, maybe for Mother’s Day. The rabbit is about 6-1/2″ long. Each piece is hammer-formed from a single piece of 16 gauge brass sheet.
Rabbit
Rabbit
Greyhound

jordan June 29, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hi there. I adore the greyhound one. I’m on the look out.for a metal sculpture/urn for a little min pin and the greyhound one looks very similar. What would use ask for a piece like this and shipped to wales, UK
Thanks

jason March 23, 2009 at 9:46 pm

That’s incredible! I like the idea of creating something as soft and cuddly as a bunny out of something as hard as metal.

Deanna Webster March 23, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Steve,
I have been following your work for a while as it just looks like you love what you do! The sleeping greyhound is gorgeous and conceptually beautiful as an urn. Thank you too for turning me on to the Custom Pet Urns website- I have made custom memorial jewelry for friends and found this site very interesting! Hammer on…

shelbyvision March 23, 2009 at 11:33 am

thanks, Hans. I could make another one. 😉

hansmeevis March 23, 2009 at 10:30 am

I agree with Helen. I could easily see those in my house. Very well done, as always.

shelbyvision March 23, 2009 at 8:17 am

Thank you, Helen. I think rabbits just are naturally cute. I like to think of hammer marks as like brush strokes in an impressionist painting.

Helen Hill March 23, 2009 at 5:52 am

The are both gorgeous, but that bunny is SOOO darned cute! I think anyone would be thrilled to have one of those adorning their mantle shelf. I love the hammer marks – they bring such character to the piece.